About Kallahalli Temple
The temple is famously known for its Monolithic Idol, which is just the same way in TIRUPATHI or BILIGIRI RANGA HILLS. We find both in TIRUPATHI and BR Hills the idol of the Lord is “KATI HASTHA DHAARI” which means the Lord is posing with this hand on his waist. But in KALLAHALLI , we can see the Lord as “GADHA DHAARI” which means , having Gadha in his hand. The most amazing thing to be noted is that tll these three idols have been made pois by the Tapas or the meditation of VASISHTA MAHARSHI & hence the name as “VASISHTA MAHARSHI KSHETRA.”
Idol Prathistaapana and Construction of the Temple
Kallahalli area was long back ruled by the Channapattana’s Nayaks. The ruler had a dream once and he was told by the lord that “ Oh , King : The Idol of me which was worshipped by Vasishta Maharshi is immersed in the river near Banni Kodalu village . You take the cart & bring the idol of me out of the river and do the Prathistaapana where the wheel breaks. The clue to the place where my idol can be found is that you need to follow the “Sri Tulasi” grown from the palace till the river.”
The Nayaks followed the instructions of Lord and brought the idol to the place where the wheel broke & did the prathistaapana of the idol at this place. As soon as the prasthistaapana was over , the Garbha Gudi & Sukha Nasini was also built & later the temple activities started regularly.
This SRI KSHETRA is around 800 years old . The temple is facing towards east to the city. It consist of 2 GOPURAS . The main entrance of the temple or MAHA DWARA consists of a GOPURA .The other Gopura, is on the GARBHA GUDI or the Main Hall . This is called “Ananda Nilaya” , which is just as the same as that in TIRUMALA VENTAKETSHWARA Temple. The temple has a big “PRAKARA” or the surrounding area.
The temple has three main areas :
- The Main Worship Place of the Lord.
- The Kalyana Mantapa near the main entrance.
- 5 Mantapas for the purpose of utilizing the space for Uthsavas.
As soon as you enter the temple, you will find a huge Mukha Mantapa ( Hall ) where many holy prayers are done., followed by the second Hall where you find the Lord’s Hundi . The 3rd Hall main entrance consists of “ASHTAAKSHARA” which is “OM NAMO NARAYANAYA”.
One more important thing to observe in this KSHETRA is that there is an idol of “SRI ADISESHA” to the right side of the Main hall inside the premises of the temple which is memory of SRI LAKSHMANA’s devoted SEVE to his brother “SRI RAMA”, which happened in TRETHA YUGA during Lord’s RAMAVATHARA.
You can also see the idol which mesmerizes you with its beauty made out of Panchaloha or 5 metals of the Lord which is mainly for processions which is called UTHSAVA MURTHIS. The Lords idol is about one and half feet along with SRIDEVI & BHOODEVI to his left and right.
When you take a round of the premises, you will find Dwajasthambha , Hanuman temple ( popularly known as Sanjeeva raya’s temple ) and Yaaga shaala.
Few common things between tirumala temple and kallahalli temple
- The first and foremost thing common is that the main temple has only the Lord’s idol and we do not find Srimahalakshmi idol near the Lord in both the places .
- We find “NAVANEETHA KRISHNA” in both the places which is the idol of Sri Krishna holding the butter in the right hand .
- Both the places consists of “SHADGUNYA YANTRA” that is the six corners which represents Lord’s six GUNAS or Qualities which are GNANA, AISHWARYA, SHAKTI , BALA , TEJAS and VEERYA.
- SHUDDHA SHAADYAMI – YUGADI UTHSAVA
- SHUDDHA NAVAMI – SRI RAMANAVAMI ( From Navami , 9 days of Uthsava at night )
- AARIDRA NAKSHATRA – BHAGAVAD RAMANUJA’S THIRU NAKSHATRA
- SHUUDHA HUNNIME – GARUDOTHSAVA
- BAHULA SAPTHAMI – ASHTAKSHARA MAHA YAAGA VARSHIKOTHSAVA
- BAHULA ASHTAMI – MAHABHISHEKA
- SWATHI NAKSHATRA – PERIALVAAR THIRU NAKSHATRA
- SHUDDHA DWADASHI – GARUDOTHSAVA
- PUBBA NAKSHATRA – THIRUVAADI POORAM AANDAL THIRU NAKSHATRA
- ALL AADI FRIDAYS – SRI MAHA LAKSHMI POOJA
- SHUDDHA HUNNIME – UPAAKARMA – ADYAYANA HOMA
- BAHULA ASHTAMI – ROHINI NAKSHATRA – SRI KRISHNA JAYANTI ( NEXT DAY NIGHT UTHSAVA)
- SHUDDHA PAADYAMAI – NAVARATHRI BEGINS
- SHUDDHAL NAVAMI – HAYAGREEVA JAYANTHI
- SHRAVANA NAKSHTRA – VENKATESHA JAYANTHI AND VEDANTA DESHIKARA THIRU NAKSHATHRA
- SHUDDHA DASHAMI – VIJAYA DASHAMI , BANNI MANTAPOTHSAVA
- SHATHABHISHA NAKSHATRA – ALVAAR THIRU NAKSHATHRA
- BAHULA CHATURDASHI – DEEPAVALI
- SHUDDHA HUNNIME – THEPPOTHSAVA
- SHUDDHA EKADASHI – BRUNDAVANOTHSAVA
- BAHULA PAADYAMI – VISHNU DEEPA
- SHUDDHA EKADASHI – GAURODOTHSAVA , VAIKUNTA DWARA PRAVESHA , PARAMA PADA SEVE
- DHANURMAASA POOJA – 30 DAYS EARLY MRONING SEVA
- MAKARA SANKRAMANA – UTTARAYANA PUNYA KAALA VISHESHA UTHSAVA , NEXT DAY LAKSHMI POOJA
- SHUDDHA SAPTHAMI – RATHA SAPTHAMI – SPECIAL UTHSAVA
- SHUDDHA HUNNIME – BRAHMA RATHOTHSAVA – FROM EKADASHI TO BAHULA BIDIGE
- PUSHPA MANTAPA
- PRAHLAADA PARIAPAALANA
- GAJENDRA MOKSHA
- JALA KREEDE
- MEENA SANKRAMANA – SHARADUSHAATHAL
- UTTHARA NAKSHATRA – PANGUNI UTTHARA